COOKIE NOTICE: Co-op Homes uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Moving home

Co-op Homes does not keep a housing waiting list so if you would like to move into one of our properties, you will need to apply to join the housing register of the local authority area you are interested in living in.

Opportunities for transfer for our existing tenants are very infrequent as very few properties become available for letting each year and the majority of these are offered first to the Local Authority to help house those in most housing need. We advise our tenants to register on their Local Authority's Housing Register if they are in need of housing transfer.

For existing residents wanting to move home, we highly recommend that you consider mutual exchange as this is the quickest and most effective means of housing transfer.  This means that you can apply to "swap" properties with someone who lives in a Co-op Homes property, a housing co-op property, another housing association or local authority home as long as your tenancy agreement permits this and certain other conditions are met.

If you're interested in registering for a mutual exchange, please register at or contact us for more information. Please note that if you are a member of one of our co-ops you should register your landlord as "Co-op Homes" as the subscription for this service is in our name. If you encounter any difficulties please ask one of our customer advisers for assistance.