Moving home

Moving Home

We don't keep a housing waiting list for our own Co-op Homes' properties so if you're in housing need and would like to move into one of our homes, you'll need to apply to join the housing register of the local authority area you're interested in living in. Some of our client co-ops do accept direct applications with or without a local connection so you'll need to check out the co-ops pages above to find out more.

Opportunities for transfer for existing Co-op Homes' tenants are very infrequent as so few properties become available for letting each year and the majority of these are offered first to the Local Authority to help house those in most housing need. You can see how few properties we own and where they are in the table at the bottom of this page. 

If you're already our tenant and want to transfer to a smaller property within Co-op Homes' stock you may be eligible for a cash incentive under our downsizing scheme. Please contact us more information. 

As we don't keep a transfer list, tenants looking for housing transfer should register on their Local Authority's Housing Register although because of the shortage of housing and the fact that you already have a home, you may not be considered a high priority.

Breakdown of Co-op Homes' properties by size and by borough (310)

Co-op Homes' properties by size and borough (310)

Mutual Exchange

We strongly recommend tenants consider MUTUAL EXCHANGE as the quickest way to get a move.  Mutual exchange means that you can apply to "swap" properties with someone who lives in a Co-op Homes property, a housing co-op, another housing association or local authority home as long as your tenancy agreement permits this and certain other conditions are met.

If you're interested in a mutual exchange, you can find someone to swap with on , a nationwide database of other tenants looking for a swap partner.  If you're a member of one of our co-ops you can also use Homeswapper, but please enter your landlord as "Co-op Homes" when you register the first time as the subscription for this service is in our name. If you encounter any difficulties or have any questions about mutual exchange, please ask one of our customer advisers for assistance.  People also can advertise for someone to swap with on cards in local newsagents windows and on social media, such as Facebook Groups where properties are regularly advertised for exchange.

Residents interested in exchanging are strongly encouraged to visit the property they are considering swapping with to view it themselves in person.  You should note that exchanging with a tenant from a different landlord can have implications on your tenure type, rent, affordability, and rights as a tenant.  Please check with your Housing Provider to discuss any potential differences and their implications before you initiate a swap.    

To exchange, each resident must obtain written permission from their respective landlords before any exchange can take place.  Co-Op Homes has the right to refuse an exchange* and has a legal requirement to make a decision within 42 days of receiving the completed application form.  

If you need to move due to violence, harassment, intimidation, or threats of violence likely to be carried out, or where major works to the property are required you may be eligible for management transfer, subject to supporting information and consideration by the senior management team.  Any property offered could be in any part of our area of operation and will be on a like-for-like bedroom size. If we're not able to move you to safe or suitable accommodation within our stock we'll refer you to the Local Authority for emergency re-housing. If this applies to you please contact us

*Reasons for Refusal include: 

  • Rent arrears**  
  • A current live notice on the tenancy (NOSP, notice to quit, injunction or other court order relating to the current/incoming individual).
  • Current or historical recorded ASB perpetrated by the current/incoming resident in the last 5 years.   
  • The current/incoming tenants’ property is in a state of disrepair and has serious unresolved repair/structural issues that could cause harm. 
  • The incoming resident has dangerous pets/multiple animals. 
  • The property will be overcrowded or underoccupied by the incoming/outgoing resident/their family.  
  • There are adaptations in the current resident’s property that are only suitable for a resident who has disabilities. 
  • Unsatisfactory references from the incoming/outgoing resident.  

**Consent may be given in certain circumstances where the resident has agreed to pay off the arrears in full or as per below in “exceptions”.  

Refusal exceptions 

 Co-op Homes can in some circumstances agree to mutually exchange residents in arrears if the application is as a direct result of the Welfare Reform Bill (otherwise know as the "Bedroom Tax").  

  • The tenant in arrears is under occupying their current property and wish to downsize. 
  • They are in receipt of housing benefit/universal credit. 
  • They agree to re-pay any current arrears by means of a former tenant arrears agreement.