Lodgers and the Bedroom Tax

Some Co-op Homes' tenants are considering taking in a lodger to minimise the effects of the “bedroom tax” on their benefits. Whilst you don’t need our permission to take in a house guest or lodger you must let us know so we can make sure your home is not overcrowded. 

You will also need to inform your Housing Benefit department or the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) if you receive Housing Benefit. Your entitlement to benefits may be affected if you have a sub-tenant or lodger (although in many cases the first £20 of weekly income from your lodger is excluded) and it would be wise to check this out before offering to share your home with someone.

If you are thinking of taking a lodger, the DWP has produced a handy fact sheetabout this which is available here