COOKIE NOTICE: Co-op Homes uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Electrical Safety

 

 

 

 

What you need to know about electrical safety?:

Every year around 70 deaths and 350,000 injuries in UK homes are caused by faulty electrics and electrical equipment. Almost half of all domestic fires are caused by electricity, and DIY errors cause half of all serious electric shocks in UK homes.

What is Co-op Homes doing to keep me safe?

Before we let out one of our own properties, we carry out electrical installation check and confirm its safe. We have a programme to re-inspect every rented property at least every five years and carry out any necessary repairs or remedial work. We only use qualified registered electricians to carry out electrical works and we make sure any electrical work complies with Building Regulations.

You can help us keep you safe by allowing us into your home to carry out the electrical test or any other repairs needed. Don’t do it yourself - DIY wiring or electrical repairs can lead to electrical parts overheating, causing fires, shocks and death.

  • Don’t overload sockets and adapters. Plugging too many devices into one socket, and over-using extension leads, can lead to overheating and fires.
  • Let us know about any electrical problems as soon as they appear.       You should also maintain any electrical appliances you bring into the house.
  • Don’t store personal items in electrical meter cupboards.
  • Check your sockets regularly – if you see burn marks or they feel hot, get a registered electrician to check if they need repairing or replacing.
  • Turn off any electrical appliances that you’re not using, particularly at night, when a fire can quickly spread unnoticed and cause more danger and damage.
  • Always register your electrical appliances so that the manufacturer can contact you if there’s a problem. https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/
  • Do buy reputable electrical goods - cheaper, ‘unofficial’ electrical products such as phone chargers may not meet safety regulations, increasing the risk of fire.
  • Before you buy a second-hand appliance, we recommend you check that:

 

    • a qualified electrician has run safety checks on it
    • the manufacturer hasn’t issued a safety recall for it

For more information, visit https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/